Michigan State at Rutgers odds, picks and prediction
The Michigan State Spartans (8-4, 2-4 Big Ten) visit the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (8-6, 4-6) Thursday for a 7 p.m. ET tip-off. Below, we analyze the Michigan State-Rutgers college basketball odds and lines, with picks and predictions.
Michigan State at Rutgers: Odds, spread and lines
- Money line : Michigan State +135 (bet $100 to win $135) | Rutgers -160 (bet $160 to win $100)
- Against the spread/ATS : Michigan State +3.5 (-115) | Rutgers -3.5 (-105)
- Over/Under : 141.5 (O: -110 | U: -110)
Michigan State at Rutgers: Three things to know
- In the rivals' first meeting of the season, Michigan State defeated Rutgers 68-45 as a 3-point home favorite Jan 5. The Spartans were led by junior F Aaron Henry's game-high 20 points, 8 rebounds and 4 blocks. The Scarlet Knights, who were ranked No. 14 at the time in the Ferris Mowers Coaches Poll powered by USA TODAY Sports, shot a dismal 30.5% (18-for-59) from the field and 35.3% (6-for-17) from the free-throw line.
- Thursday will be Michigan State's first time in action since Jan. 8 when it lost 55-54 at home to Purdue on Trevion Williams' 3-pointer with 4.5 seconds left. The next four games were postponed due to COVID-19 issues within the MSU program. Henry leads the Spartans in scoring (13.9 points per game), assists (3.7 APG) and steals (1.6 SPG), while junior F Joey Hauser is the top rebounder (8.1 RPG).
- Rutgers snapped a 5-game skid with a 74-70 upset at Indiana Sunday. Senior G Geno Baker scored a game-high 19 points, hitting 4 of the team's 8 3-pointers, as the Scarlet Knights led the entire second half and covered the spread as 5.5-point underdogs. Junior G Ron Harper Jr. leads Rutgers with 18.3 PPG, and junior C Myles Johnson averages team highs in rebounds (8.6 RPG) and blocks (2.2 BPG).
Special College Basketball Betting Promotion!
Bet $1 on any college basketball team money line, WIN an additional $100 (in free bets) if ANY team hits a 3-pointer today. Promotion available in CO, IN, MI, NJ, TN, VA and WV. IA and PA residents, don't miss BetMGM 's risk-free, first-bet offer!
Place your legal, online sports bets at BetMGM! Terms and conditions apply. Bet now!
Michigan State at Rutgers: Odds, lines, predictions and picks
Michigan State 69, Rutgers 64
Money line (ML)
MICHIGAN STATE ( +135) is the STRONGEST PLAY - 1½ times your usual wager. The Spartans are a perfect 11-0 all time vs. the Scarlet Knights, including 10-0 since Rutgers joined the Big Ten in the 2014.
Of the 10 Big Ten victories, MSU is 4-0 at Rutgers, winning by an average of 18.0 points. The Spartans' last two victories there were by 11 and 10 points, respectively.
Against the spread (ATS)
PASS unless you prefer to take the 3.5 points of insurance with Michigan State +3.5 (-115) over counting on an outright win.
ATS: Michigan State 3-9 | Rutgers 6-7-1
Back the UNDER 141.5 ( -110). The Scarlet Knights averaged 63.9 PPG in their last six games. The Spartans, who could come out a little rusty, averaged 67.2 in their last six games.
O/U records: Michigan State 6-6 | Rutgers 8-5-1
|Johnny's 2020-21 CBK record / Strongest plays|
41-34-1 / 18-19
|CBK record since Jan. 1 / Strongest plays|
26-17-1 / 13-9
|2021 overall record (all sports) / Strongest plays|
39-23-1 / 21-11
|2020 overall record (all sports) / Strongest plays|
178-147-4 / 87-61-1
Additional college sports coverage from USA TODAY Sports Media Group:
Gannett may earn revenue from audience referrals to betting services. Newsrooms are independent of this relationship and there is no influence on news coverage.