Howe Avenue reconstruction project nears completion

Paving is done, but eastbound section of road remains closed until work is finalized

PHIL KEREN
Reporter
The project to reconstruct a one-mile stretch of Howe Avenue is expected to be finished in about three weeks.

CUYAHOGA FALLS — The end is in sight for the $5.9 million Howe Avenue reconstruction project, with the work currently running ahead of schedule.

Howe Avenue has been reconstructed from Main Street to Buchholzer Boulevard by Akron-based Kenmore Construction during this year’s and last year’s construction seasons.

“We are ahead of schedule and that is because of the good weather and the way the contractor, Kenmore Construction, performed their work,” stated Ohio Department of Transportation District 4 spokesperson Justin Chesnic.

Chesnic said the asphalt paving work was finished on Aug. 14, but noted some tasks still need to be wrapped up. That work includes striping of the road, adjusting manholes and valve boxes, installing curbs and putting in a new traffic signal at Howe Avenue and Main Street.

Eastbound Howe Avenue between Main Street and the Applebee’s driveway entrance will remain closed until those final components of the project are completed, which Chesnic said should be in about three weeks. Vehicles traveling east on Howe are still being detoured south on Home Avenue, east on Independence Avenue and north on Buchholzer.

The project also included drainage, curbs, sidewalks, lighting, new signage and traffic signals.

Chesnik said ODOT has not received any negative feedback from businesses.

City leaders in both Cuyahoga Falls and nearby Tallmadge were pleased that the project is on track to be finished sooner than expected.

“The project has gone incredibly well and has been a relatively smooth process,” said Cuyahoga Falls city spokesperson Kelli Crawford-Smith. “Everyone involved, including the city, motorists and businesses, is thrilled that the project [is projected to] be completed ahead of schedule.”

Cuyahoga Falls Police Chief Jack Davis said he had not seen any significant issues as the work happened in the spring and summer. He added he felt it was “great” for businesses and frequent travelers that the work is slated to be done early.

Tallmadge Police Chief Ronald Williams said he was not aware of any impact the project had in his city, but noted it was good to hear that the reconstruction work was progressing ahead of schedule.

“I’m sure that’s welcome news for local businesses,” said Williams.

Last year the concrete roadway was replaced with asphalt on Howe between Route 8 and Main, and from the McDonald’s entrance east to Buchholzer. In October 2019, Howe Avenue reopened to two-way traffic.

The project resumed in April with eastbound Howe closed for the work between Main and the Applebee’s entrance. Two lanes of traffic going westbound on Howe have been maintained between Main and Applebee’s.

Reporter Phil Keren can be reached at 330-541-9421, pkeren@recordpub.com, or on Twitter at @keren_phil.

Motorists may see the end of orange barrels on Howe Avenue. The project to reconstruct a one-mile stretch is expected to be complete in about three weeks.