Macedonia, Northfield Center renewals approved

Staff Report
Voters in Macedonia and Northfield Center approved renewal levies in each of their communities.

Voters in Macedonia and Northfield Center Township overwhelmingly approved renewal levies, according to final but unofficial results from the Summit County Board of Elections.

Neither measure will result in an increase in taxes.

City voters approved Issue 20 by a margin of 4,405 to 2,678, or about 62% to 38%. The issue is a 5.07 mill renewal of a real estate tax that has been on the books to fund city operations since the 1960s.

The five-year levy generates about $650,448 annually at an effective rate of 2.3 mills.

"I want to thank all the voters who went out," said Macedonia Mayor Nick Molnar. "I think we had record numbers here for voting. It keeps our safety services whole."

Molnar said the city has been collecting on this levy since the 1960s. "It has helped sustain the city," he added.

Township voters approved Issue 35 by 2,274 to 1,072, or about 68% to 32%. The measure is a renewal of a 1.4-mill levy for construction, reconstruction, resurfacing and repair of roads and bridges. It will generate more than $220,000 annually, which is nearly 50% of the service department’s total budget.

According to officials, the funds are utilized to pay for a variety of vital maintainance and repair activities, including the recently completed Springwood and Natalie road reconstruction project.

"I was very encouraged the levy passed," said Township Trustee Russ Mazzola. "It speaks volumes for the services we provide our residents.” He added that the levy makes up a large portion of the service department budget.

One anticipated future project is road reconstruction work on Bayberry Drive, Mazzola said. The cost of this project is projected at $850,000, but on Monday, the trustees approved applying for a grant through the Ohio Public Works Commission. The application was submitted Tuesday. If approved, the OPWC grant would cover 70% of the cost, and the township would pay the remaining 30%.

The levy is "very important in maintaining our roads," Mazzola said. 

"We feel good about the programs we provide," Mazzola said. "The service department handles many things, maintenance, roads, repairing equipment, leaf pickup. We are really proud of them. Rick Youel and his team do a good job."

Trustee Paul Beuscher said he "would like to thank everyone for supporting the levy."

"Our service department depends on the revenue generated from it, so I’m glad it passed so they can keep doing the quality job they have been doing," Beuscher said. 

According to former Township Administrator Steve Wright, there are two other road levies on the books – one for 0.36 mills which brings in $58,892 per year and one for 2.42 mills which brings in $108,974 a year.

Contact the newspaper at 330-541-9433, or newsleader@recordpub.com.