No major injuries in fire that caused $500,000-plus in damage to a historic home in Hudson

Cause of June 14 blaze ruled accidental; multiple neighboring fire departments provided assistance

A fire in June caused more than $500,000 in damage to a historic home on Hudson Aurora Road. The residents and pets were able to exit the house unharmed. The cause of the blaze was determined to be accidental, a city spokesperson stated.

HUDSON — There were no major injuries in a fire that caused more than $500,000 in damage to a historic home on Hudson Aurora Road last month.

The cause of the blaze was ruled “accidental,” according to city spokesperson Jody Roberts, who added that a firefighter sustained a minor finger injury.

Roberts added the family that lived in the home is currently living with relatives in the city. City officials say the home is more than 100 years old.

“The home is not a total loss,” said Roberts. “They have plans to rebuild the damaged portions.”

Roberts said firefighters were called to the scene at about 4:30 a.m. on June 14 and noted that residents and pets “escaped unharmed” from the house before the fire department arrived. She noted the fire was “through the roof” of the structure when firefighters arrived on scene, and the Streetsboro and Twinsburg fire departments were “immediately called” to assist with fighting the blaze. 

The last fire suppression unit from the city cleared the scene at 4 p.m., according to Roberts, who said a fire watch unit remained at the property until 1 p.m. on June 15 when the insurance company arrived.

Roberts said 23 Hudson firefighters, as well as 33 firefighters from Streetsboro, Twinsburg, Valley, Richfield, Macedonia, Stow, Northfield Village, Cuyahoga Falls, Kent and Aurora fire departments responded. Workers from the city’s EMS, police, electric and service departments also provided assistance.

Reporter Phil Keren can be reached at 330-541-9421,, or on Twitter at @keren_phil.