The Hudson girls swimming and diving team easily won the 27-team Northeast Division I district meet Saturday at Cleveland State University’s Busbey Natatorium.
The Explorers finished with 486 points. North Canton Hoover was the runner-up with 274 points and Akron Firestone took third with 256 points.
"It was a great day for our program," Hudson head coach Matt Davis said. "Our girls have never scored more than 400 team points at districts. To almost score 500 shows the tremendous depth we have. It has been a challenging season with not having a pool for half of the season, but our kids stayed positive and keep working hard."
Senior Paige McCormick won two individual district championships to advance to the state meet, which is scheduled to take place this Friday and Saturday at C.T. Branin Natatorium in Canton. The preliminaries are set to begin Friday at 9 a.m.
She won by more than two seconds after swimming a first-place time of 1 minute, 50.33 seconds in the 200-yard freestyle.
McCormick also won the 500 freestyle for the fourth consecutive year. She won by more than eight seconds after swimming a clocking of 4:52.69.
Junior Mackenzie DeWitt also captured two individual district titles to punch her ticket to canton.
She won the 50 freestyle with a time of 23.33 seconds and the 100 butterfly in 55.69 seconds.
McCormick and DeWitt joined sophomore Eliana Szabo and senior Giovanna Cappabianca on the state-qualifying first-place 400 freestyle relay team (3:29.7).
Other Hudson swimmers who participated were the following:
• 50 freestyle: Carrie Caniglia, fourth, 24.11; Maddie Horrigan, 11th, 24;72; and Peyton Binns, 16th, 25.29.
• 100 freestyle: Caniglia, fifth, 53.1; Szabo, sixth, 53.13; Noelle Kara, 14th, 54.45; and Binns, 17th, 54.76;
• 200 freestyle: Szabo (state qualifier), fourth, 1:54; Gabrielle Loring, fifth, 1:55.3; and Caroline Von Ville, seventh, 1:56.98;
• 500 freestyle: Olivia Pisano, third, 5:09.74; Loring, fourth, 5:10.52; and Lucy Reber, fifth, 5:13.23;
• 100 backstroke: Kate Hensley (state qualifier), fourth, 57.73; Pisano, seventh, 59.19; Mia Dezelic, ninth, 59.74; and Hannah Weldon, 10th, 59.76;
• 100 breaststroke: Cappabianca (state qualifier), fourth, 1:05.03; Mija Drobnjak (state qualifier), fifth, 1:05.54; Taylor Kochanowski (state qualifier), sixth, 1:05.69; and Marisa Schenkenberger, eighth, 1:06.07;
• 100 butterfly: Hensley, seventh, 57.93; Horrigan, 11th, 59.49; and Erin Zmich, tied for 27th, 1:05.07;
• 200 individual medley: Cappabianca (state qualifier), second, 2:06.02; Reber (state qualifier), fifth, 2:07.57; Schenkenberger, 10th, 2:11.78; and Caroline Coates, 15th, 2:16.95;
• 200 freestyle relay: DeWitt, Szabo, Loring and Caniglia, second, 1:36.78 (state qualifier); and
• 200 medley relay: Pisano, McCormick, Cappabianca and Caniglia, fourth, 1:46.84 (state qualifier).
"Kate Hensley had a breakout meet," Davis said. "I was really that 30 of the 32 swimmers scored top 16."