The Hudson boys swimming and diving team finished second at the Northeast Division I district meet Saturday at Cleveland State University’s Busbey Natatorium.
The Explorers scored 275 points. North Canton Hoover won the 28-team competition with 308 points and Boardman placed third with 167 points.
"This was our boys highest team point total in five years," Hudson head coach Matt Davis said. "The kids have worked hard all season and they came time perform on Saturday and did just that."
Senior Caleb Tuckerman won a district title in the 500-yard freestyle for the second consecutive year. He finished with a time of 4 minutes, 35.52 seconds to finish more than three seconds ahead of junior teammate Seth Baylor (4:39).
Both Tuckerman and Baylor advanced to the state competition, which is scheduled to take place this Friday and Saturday at C.T. Branin Natatorium in Canton. The preliminaries are set to take place Friday at 9 a.m.
"Caleb had a great meet," Davis said. "Seth Baylor had a tremendous meet."
Other Explorers who participated were the following:
• 200 medley relay: Dylan Albrecht, Alek Vizmeg, Andrew Ketler and Benjamin Martinez, seventh, 1:39.75;
• 200 freestyle: Tuckerman (state qualifier), third, 1:41.38; Albrecht, 12th, 1:48.18; Roman Sawicki, 17th, 1:49.08; and Tate Trattner, 19th, 1:49.32;
• 200 individual medley: Baylor (state qualifier), third, 1:55.13; Vittorio Cappabianca, sixth, 1:59.8; Vizmeg, seventh, 2:00.28; and Martinez, ninth, 2:01.8;
• 100 butterfly: Ketler, 12th, 53.47; Mason Meyer, 13th, 53.92; Calvin Kampman, 20th, 55.44; and Ethan Clemens, 29th, 59.23;
• 100 freestyle: Andrew Constable, 14th, 49.31; Trattner, 19th, 50.54; Kampman, 22nd, 50.69; and Ruben Szabo, 27th, 51.21;
• 500 freestyle: Cappabianca, seventh, 4:46.6; and Ketler, eighth, 4:50.97;
• 200 freestyle relay: Tuckerman, Baylor, Cappabianca and Trattner, fourth, 1:27.37 (state qualifier);
• 100 backstroke: Albrecht, eighth, 54.73; Meyer, ninth, 54.84; and Sawicki, 20th, 57.86;
• 100 breaststroke: Vizmeg, 10th, 1:01.52; Constable, 13th, 1:01.87; Martinez, 14th, 1:02.41; and Szabo, 21st, 1:03.59; and
• 400 freestyle relay: Tuckerman, Baylor, Cappabianca and Meyer, fourth, 3:11.16 (state qualifier).