The Hudson boys swimming and diving team easily won the 14-team Akron Division I sectional title Saturday at the University of Akron’s Ocasek Natatorium.
The Explorers scored 420 points. Stow-Munroe Falls was the runner-up with 315 points and Brecksville-Broadview Heights took third with 265 points.
"This was a true team victory as everyone on the team contributed top 16 points to the overall team victory," Hudson head coach Matt Davis said. "I love this team. We are not just reliant on a few top swimmers. We have such a hard-working, talented team all the way around."
The Explorers’ lone sectional champion was Seth Baylor, who won the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 1 minute, 59.99 seconds.
Andrew Constable placed third in the 100 freestyle (49.69) and sixth in the 100 breaststroke (1:02.41).
"Andrew lit it up," Davis said.
Roman Sawicki also got his coach’s attention after finishing seventh in the 200 freestyle (1:49.53) and ninth in the 100 backstroke 57.79).
"Roman had two great swims," Davis said.
Also faring well for Hudson was Ruben Szabo, who had two personal-best times. He placed eighth in the 100 breaststroke (1:03.28) and 10th in the 100 freestyle (50.95).
The Explorers had everyone other than two individuals in two events advance to the district competition, which is scheduled to take place this Saturday at Cleveland State University’s Busbey Natatorium. Swimming is set to begin at noon.
The following Hudson relays and individuals advanced:
• 200 medley relay: Mason Meyer, Alek Vizmeg, Andrew Ketler and Benjamin Martinez, fifth, 1:45.32;
• 200 freestyle: Caleb Tuckerman, third, 1:45.49; Tate Trattner, 10th, 1:50.41; and Dylan Albrecht, 11th, 1:50.75;
• 200 IM: Vittorio Cappabianca, fifth, 2:04.29; Martinez, sixth, 2:05.48; and Vizmeg, eighth, 2:07.7;
• 100 butterfly: Calvin Kampman, seventh, 54.44; Ketler, eighth, 54.98; Meyer, 11th, 56.15; and Ethan Clemens, 15th, 58.79;
• 100 freestyle: Kampman, fifth, 50.33; and Trattner, eighth, 50.6;
• 500 freestyle: Tuckerman, second, 4:47.53; Cappabianca, third, 4:51.24; Baylor, fourth, 4:53.87; and Ketler, sixth, 5:04.85;
• 200 freestyle relay: Tuckerman, Baylor, Cappabianca and Trattner, third, 1:29.82;
• 100 backstroke: Dylan Albrecht, sixth, 57.14; and Meyer, eighth, 57.64;
• 100 breaststroke: Vizmeg, 12th, 1:05.12; and Martinez, 14th, 1:05.38; and
• 400 freestyle relay: Tuckerman, Baylor, Cappabianca and Meyer, third, 3:19.