School sets fall
Kimpton Middle School announces the following start times for its 2007 falls sports season:
* Volleyball will begin Aug. 6 at the KMS gymnasium. Practice for eighth-graders will be 8 to 10 a.m., while seventh-graders will run 10 a.m. to noon. Try outs will run throughout the first week of practice.
* Soccer will begin Aug. 6 at the KMS soccer field from 7 to 8 p.m.
* Football will begin Aug. 8 at the KMS football field from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
* Cross country will begin Aug. 13 at Silver Springs Park. Runners are asked to assemble at Oak Tree Pavilion off Stow Road. Practice will run from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
All athletes must have their sports physical prior to the first day of try-outs/conditioning. The physical form must be turned into Jana Martin, assistant faculty manager at Kimpton. This form requires parent's signature in three areas.
Anyone with questions can call 330-689-5288 ext.6961.
Ohio Eagles Youth Baseball, a local competitive travel program, will host tryouts for boys ages 11 to 18 years old for the 2008 season. Tryouts will be a Gougler Park located at 1775 Lynn Road in Kent Aug. 4 and 5. Players will be assigned by their age as of May 1, 2008.
Tryout times are as follows:
* 13-year olds: Aug. 4 at 10 a.m. for manager Butch Gillespie (330-715-5452)
* 12-year olds: Aug. 4 at noon for managers Jerry Hargett (330-221-1201) and Geroge Darlas (330-389-0388)
* 11-year-olds: Aug. 4 at 2 p.m. for manager Scott Formick (330-931-0482)
* 14-year-olds: Aug. 4 at 4 p.m. for manager Matt Baker (330-998-0836)
* 15-year-olds: Aug. 5 at 10 a.m. for manager Jere Hickle (330-389-0482)
* 16-year-olds: Aug. 5 at noon for manager Bill Longhitano (330-388-2128)
* 17-and-18-year olds: Aug. 5 at 2 p.m. for manager Dan Hickle (330-990-1618)
Rain dates will be Aug. 11 and 12 with the same time for each age group. Anyone with questions can contact Ed Waller at 330-389-1229 or 330-673-6532.
Poiner to play at B-W
Stow-Munroe Falls High School graduate Jessica Poiner has selected Baldwin-Wallace College to continue her education and will play soccer for the Yellow Jackets.
While at Stow-Munroe Falls, Poiner lettered three times in soccer but only played two full seasons due to injury. She was first-team All-Western Reserve Conference as a freshman and again as a senior.
Poiner plans to major in English at Baldwin-Wallace. She is the daughter of Dan and Becky Poiner of Stow.
Poiner joins a Yellow Jacket women's soccer team coming off its third consecutive season of double-digit victories as they finished 2006 with an overall record of 10-8.
B-W opens the 2007 campaign on Sept. 1 at 4 p.m. at the Penn-State Behrend Tournament vs. SUNY-Geneseo.
Stow Goal Club
hosts golf outing
The Stow Goal Club announces its second annual golf outing will be Aug. 5 at Racoon Hills Golf Club. Cost of the event is $65 per person and it will begin with a shotgun start at 1 p.m.
The entry fee pays for 18 holes of golf, beverages and a meal after the round. Players under the age of 21 must golf with a parent.
The SCG also is seeking hole sponsors for the outing. A foursome can sponsor a hole and golf for $300, while individual hole sponsors will be $75. Businesses can also donate a gift certificate in the amount of $75, for use as a prize, in the name of their company or organization.
Other donations for prizes and awards will be accepted.
Anyone with questions, offering donations or wishing to help can contact Don Tipton at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or 330-688-9849. For more information on the Stow Goal Club, visit the Web site at www.stowgoalclub.org.
The Ohio Bombers baseball organization will host tryouts for its 2008 13-and-under, 12-and-under and 10-and-under travel teams.
Tryouts will be July 29 at Akron Springfield JEDD Park at 2275 Pickle Road from 2 to 5 p.m.
The Bombers are looking for competitive, dedicated, and aggressive players who want to develop there skills against the best teams in the state. Players should bring glove, bat, cleats and water bottle.
For more detailed information, contact Dave Watson at 330-592-0302 or www.ohiobombers.com