The massive construction project on state Route 8 in northern Summit County is starting at 6 p.m. this Sunday, weather permitting.
The construction was originally going to begin Wednesday but was postponed due to weather.
The $58.6 million project starts south of the Graham Road interchange and ends past the ramp to state Route 303.
Here’s what to expect:
1. Through late October, northbound traffic in the stretch from Graham Road to Route 303 will be split into two lanes. The right lane will use the recently reconstructed median lane, while the left lane will cross over onto Route 8 southbound. Drivers wanting to exit at Seasons Road, Steels Corners Road or Route 303 will need to stay in the right lane. The left lane won’t have access to those ramps.
2. The ramp from Route 8 northbound to state Route 303 will be closed for ramp reconstruction. The posted detour will be Route 8 northbound to Boston Mills Road to Chittenden Road to Route 303. Work is expected to be done by late April.
3. The on-ramp from Steels Corners Road to Route 8 northbound will be closed. The detour will be Steels Corners Road to Hudson Drive to Seasons Road to Route 8. Work is expected to be done by late April.
4. The Route 8 northbound off-ramp to Steels Corners Road also will be closed. Work is expected to be done by late April.
5. The on-ramp from Graham Road to Route 8 northbound will be closed until late June. The detour will be Graham Road to Wyoga Lake Road to Seasons Road to get to Route 8.
6. After construction finishes on the Route 303 and Steels Corners ramps, likely in May, the on- and off-ramp at Seasons Road will be closed short-term for work.
Posted detours for the route 8 construction.
An estimated 55,000 to 60,000 drivers pass through the affected stretch of highway in Stow, Cuyahoga Falls, Hudson and Boston Heights daily.
The entire Route 8 project started in fall 2018 and is expected to be completed by summer 2022.
In 2021, work will move to the southbound lanes. In 2022, the Ohio Department of Transportation will put down final pavement and finishing touches.
#TrafficAlert: #SummitCounty Beginning on Sunday, March 1, at 6:00 p.m. (weather permitting) the following ramps will be closed on SR 8 and northbound traffic will be split into contra-flow. Visit https://t.co/gvDY1Q4kZh for live traffic updates! pic.twitter.com/J5eBxtLSPf— ODOT Akron (@ODOT_Akron) February 28, 2020