STOW — A steam leak set off a fire alarm and forced an evacuation of Echo Hills Elementary School for about 30 minutes Tuesday morning, said Principal Dave Ulbricht.

"No fire whatsoever," said Ulbricht. "But smoke detectors don’t differentiate."

Ulbricht said the building off Stow Road was evacuated at 8:25 a.m. when the fire alarm went off. The Stow Fire Department responded, discovered steam leaking from a pipe in the boiler room and allowed students and staff back inside at a little before 9 a.m., said Ulbricht.

"We had buses on site to keep the children safe and warm until we got the all clear," said Ulbricht.

Superintendent Tom Bratten, who also responded to the school, attributed the leak to "old pipes" and said that all six of the district’s elementary schools have boilers.

"It’s not uncommon to get these steam leaks," he said, adding that this one was large enough to set off the fire alarm.

Reporter Jeff Saunders can be reached at 330-541-9431, jsaunders@recordpub.com or @JeffSaunders_RP.