MUNROE FALLS — City Council kicked off 2020 with the election of a new president and vice president, as well as the swearing in of elected, re-elected or appointed officials.
City legislators Thursday night voted 5-2 to appoint Chris Ritzinger (Ward 2) to serve as its president. The other nominee was John Hegnauer.
"I’d like to thank the residents of Ward 2 for their support and the trust of council to lead them into this new decade," Ritzinger said. "I am looking forward to continuing the work of the last four years with the mayor and his administration."
Council member Jim Iona (At Large) was elected by a 5-2 vote to serve as council’s vice president. Hegnauer was also the other nominee for that spot.
Thursday’s organizational meeting was preceded by the swearing-in ceremonies for elected, re-elected or appointed officials. Mayor James Armstrong, accompanied by his wife, Lisa, and daughter, Alexis, was sworn in to office by Ninth District Court of Appeals Judge Tom Teodosio. Armstrong defeated council member Mike Barnes (At Large) in November 2019 to earn a second term as the city’s leader.
Hegnauer, Larson and Ritzinger took the oaths of office from either Teodosio or his wife, Summit County Juvenile Court Judge Linda Tucci Teodosio.
The Teodosios also administered the oath of office to Jenny Markovich for the Board of Zoning Appeals, Dianne Sumego for Planning Commission and Annette Oborn, John Impellizzeri and Lindsey Stone for the Park Board. Oborn was re-appointed to the board, while Impellizzeri and Stone are new appointees.
Council also decided on which members would lead each committee.
• Council representative on planning commission: Allen Mavrides; alternate: Iona
• Community/Economic Development Committee chair: Iona; vice-chair: Mavrides
• Finance/Audit Committee chair: Gary Toth; vice-chair: Frank Larson
• General Government Services Committee chair: Hegnauer; vice-chair: Barnes
• Public Safety Committee chair: Ritzinger; vice-chair: Hegnauer
• Council representative on Parks & Recreation Board: Barnes; alternate: Toth
Reporter Phil Keren can be reached at 330-541-9421, firstname.lastname@example.org, or on Twitter at @keren_phil.