STOW — The Stow-Munroe Falls High School has been awarded the Purple Star from the Ohio Department of Education.
The Purple Star Award for military-friendly schools recognizes schools that show a major commitment to students and families connected to our nation’s military, according to information from the ODE. Schools that earn the award will receive a special Purple Star recognition to display onsite.
A school will be honored with the Purple Star Award if it completes all the required activities, plus one optional activity. The Purple Star Advisory Board, formed by the Ohio departments of Education, Higher Education, Veterans Services and the Adjutant General, helps decide a school’s eligibility for the award.
Required activities include:
• The school must have a staff point of contact for military students and families who serves as the primary liaison between them and the school. The liaison completes professional development on special considerations for military students and families under federal law. The Military Children in Ohio’s Schools course is available on the ODE learning management system and may be used to complete this requirement. The liaison identifies and informs teachers of the military-connected students in their classrooms and the special considerations military families and students should receive.
• The school maintains a dedicated page on its website featuring resources for military families.
Optional activities include:
• The school provides professional development for additional staff on special considerations for military students and families.
• The local school board passes a resolution publicizing the school’s support for military children and families.
• The school hosts a military recognition event that demonstrates a military-friendly culture.
"We have a staff member who is a veteran, and who is the contact point for when families enroll at the high school," said Jeff Hartmann, high school principal. "She acts as a point of contact to help ease the transition of students into the building who may have moved here due to change of duty placements or provides additional support for students who have loved ones on deployment."
The next round of applications from schools will be accepted through Dec. 2. For details visit education.ohio.gov online.
Reporter April Helms can be reached at 330-541-9423, email@example.com, or @AprilKHelms_RPC