NORTHFIELD — The case of a village woman facing multiple felony charges in connection with an allegation that she stole nearly $1,500 from an elderly woman is expected to go before a Summit County grand jury.

According to Stow Municipal Court records, 53-year-old Summit Avenue resident Sharlene A. Wagner is charged with theft and two counts each of telecommunications fraud and forgery, all fifth-degree felonies.

According to a police report and complaints that police filed in court, an 87-year-old village woman reported April 30 that after she gave two checks to a landscaper, one for $90 and the other for $50, someone altered them to $900 and $550 respectively and cashed them. Complaints allege that Wagner can be seen on video depositing the checks at an ATM in Woodmere.

Police say they filed the charges against Wagner June 26 following an investigation. Police did not immediately respond to a request for information about any connection between Wagner and the landscaper, but court records do not show any charges against him.

According to court records, Wagner entered felony no pleas to the charges at her June 26 arraignment and the case was sent to the grand jury July 1, the day before she was released from Macedonia City Jail on a 10 percent of $10,000 bond.

Her attorney did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

This is not the first time Wagner has been in trouble. According to Summit County Court of Common Pleas records, Wagner pleaded guilty in June 2015 to second-degree felony identity fraud against the elderly and third-degree felony misuse of a credit card in a case that village police filed originally in Stow Municipal Court the previous year.

Wagner was then sentenced to four years and nine months in the Ohio State Reformatory for Women in Marysville and ordered to pay a total of a little over $35,000 in restitution to Chase Bank, CitiBank, Sunoco, and to a woman.

In June 2016, however, the court released Wagner after she agreed to take part in a court re-entry program under which she would be monitored by court staff and the remainder of her sentence was suspended.

The court declared that she successfully completed the program in May 2017, but ordered that she continue paying the restitution.

Reporter Jeff Saunders can be reached at 330-541-9431, or @JeffSaunders_RP.