STOW — The Ohio State Highway Patrol is investigating after a Stow police car was struck from behind by another vehicle on Route 8 Monday night, said OSHP Lt. Antonio Matos.

Matos said Police Sgt. Ted Bell was taken to Akron General Hospital and the driver of the other vehicle, a 57-year-old Massillon man, was taken to Akron City Hospital for treatment of injuries.

Watch: Dashcam video of Stow police car being stuck on Route 8

.embed-container { position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.25%; height: 0; overflow: hidden; max-width: 100%; } .embed-container iframe, .embed-container object, .embed-container embed { position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; }

“I don’t believe it was anything life threatening,” said Matos.

Stow Police Capt. Bryan Snavely said Tuesday morning, “I would say [Bell] is in stable condition.”

“He’s still in the hospital, they admitted him last night, and they’re still doing testing,” said Snavely, who declined additional comment about the crash.

Snavely said he did not have any information about the condition of the other man and an Akron City Hospital spokesman said he was unable to find any information.

Matos said the crash occurred in the construction zone on the northbound side near Steels Corners Road at 10:27 p.m. The cruiser, with the officer sitting in it, was parked in the left lane with its emergency lights flashing at the point where the lane closed when his cruiser was struck from behind by the Massillon man’s 2016 Ford Fusion.

“A lot of construction workers were working in that area so [the officer] was there for safety,” he said. “And then this gentleman, the other party, was traveling north in the left lane and for whatever reason didn’t see the officer until the last second and it looks like he tried to swerve and miss him, but he ended up rear ending the Stow police officer’s car.”

Matos said there are no curves in the road in that area and alcohol is a suspected factor.

“[The Massillon man] was on a long straightaway so he should have been able to see him quite a ways ahead,” said Matos.

Matos said he is unsure when the scene was cleared, but at least one lane remained open for traffic.

Reporter Jeff Saunders can be reached at 330-541-9431, or @JeffSaunders_RP.