The Rotary Club of Hudson has selected three primary beneficiaries for its 35th annual Gala at the Hilton Garden Inn in Twinsburg May 17.
The 2018 Gala raised more than $65,000 in gross revenues to allow major contributions to community services. Ron Strobl continues to chair the gala effort with the help of co-chairs Kris Barker and Marilyn Orr.
The featured beneficiaries for 2019 are:
• Hudson Community First’s "Uncharted Waters:" What Every Senior Needs to Know Before Going to College, a comprehensive one day workshop for all Hudson High School seniors to examine the challenges young people may face upon entering their college years. Topics include anxiety and depression, binge drinking, drugs, date rape, fire safety and overall wellness. Speakers include psychologists, lawyers, safety counselors, college administrators and college students. This will be the third year of Rotary sponsorship for the program.
• The Gift of Life of Northeast Ohio, a program that the Rotary Club of Hudson has supported for many years. Funds raised from the annual Gala provide needed heart surgeries for medically struggling children in underdeveloped countries such as Haiti. Doctors from the area, some of whom live in Hudson, as well as local hospitals, donate their skills and services.
• Boy Scout Troop 321’s request for funds to perform needed repairs to the historic Boy Scout Cabin located at Hudson’s Green on Main street downtown. The log cabin, used by the Scouts for meetings and for Hudson community activities, was originally built by the Hudson Rotary in 1931. Founded in 1918, Troop 321 meets weekly in the log cabin where thousands of scouts have developed leadership, personal and life skills. Over the years, 115 local members have achieved Eagle Scout, a rank attained by less than 2 percent of all Scouts nationally.
The Gala proceeds also support Hudson students through scholarships, service learning classes and international exchange students. These programs afford students the opportunities to become involved with and represent the Hudson community.
Major sponsors for the 2019 Gala are currently being confirmed:
• Kaulig Companies has committed to being a platinum sponsor.
• Akron Children’s Hospital, PEGS Foundation and the Tobin Family will be silver sponsors.
For more information about providing auction gifts or becoming a sponsor go to www.rotaryhudson.org or contact Ron Strobl at firstname.lastname@example.org.