Hudson -- Visitors to the Case-Barlow Farm will be able to view a World War I uniform with equipment found by Bob Giunta and donated by the Questers, a non-profit organization that studies and preserves historical objects. The items will be on display in the hired hand's room on the second floor.

Clayton Eugene Woodworth worked and lived at the Case-Barlow Farm from 1916 through 1972, the year he died. He was drafted in 1918.

"He grew up here," said Dennis Barlow, who lived on the farm until he went to college. He said "Clayte" was quiet and never talked.

"He sat in a rocking chair in the corner and loved television," Barlow said. "He was a simple person of constant habits. A man from a different time."

Hudson has three Questers groups, The James Ellsworth Chapter, Anna Lee Chapter and David Hudson Chapter. One of the projects of the Questers is to help preserve the farm and the Anna Lee and James Ellsworth chapters help to furnish it. The Cleopatra Cleaning Crew, which has 10 members, cleans the historic farmhouse every month. The David Hudson Chapter is working to preserve the Old Burying Ground cemetery in front of the Western Reserve Academy on Chapel Street.

James Ellsworth Chapter President Barbara Warner said Woodworth worked along Henry Barlow and his son, Don, on the farm. Henry Barlow was mayor of the Village of Hudson and Don Barlow was the last family member to live at the farm, Warner said.

Bob Giunta, whose wife, Eileen Giunta is president of the David Hudson Chapter, was a tank commander who served with the National Guard during the Vietnam War era. He spoke about World War I and related Woodworth's experiences.

"If you want to understand a person, you have to understand what is around them," Bob Giunta said.

The United States didn't want to get involved in World War I, but when Germans bombed American ships, they were "dragged" into it, he said. By 1917, the war had been going on for three years.

The U.S. in 1917 had an army of 128,000 men and 81,000 reserves and drafted 2.8 million men for the war, first in July 1917 for men 21 to 30 years old and after September 1918 the draft was expanded to men 18 to 45 years old, Giunta said.

Clayton Woodworth was drafted Sept. 26, 1918, and trained at Camp Eustis, Virginia (Fort Monroe) that included firing 6-inch sea coast guns on a mobile mount. The U.S. had limited artillery, but it was the main weapon to fight in the trenches of WWI, Giunta said.

In early October 1918 Camp Eustis was quarantined because of Spanish influenza, which killed a large group of soldiers in the 1918 pandemic, he said. Woodworth was ill but survived.

Woodworth's regiment was moved Oct. 12, 1918, to Camp Stuart in Newport News, Virginia, and on Nov. 3, 1918, he boarded the U.S.S. Aeolus, and his regiment was sent to Guitres, Gironde in France for further training, Giunta said. But the war ended Nov. 20, 1918 and Woodworth turned in his military equipment and was released Jan. 20, 1919.

Woodworth never married and described himself as a farmer. A photograph shows Woodworth wearing his uniform and seated on the front porch of Case-Barlow Farm.

Guinta demonstrated the different pieces of equipment, including a gas mask, axe, haversack and leggings. The wide helmets were designed to protect the soldier's head from shrapnel from above not from the sides, he said. Soldiers wore the same uniform on and off the field.

Dennis Barlow shared two stories about Woodworth. One time they were making hay and loaded a pile into the wagon. Woodworth was the last one to come in. He pushed all the hay out of the wagon onto the ground and drove the team in. Barlow said his grandfather, Henry Barlow, was mad about it.

Dennis Barlow also said whenever Woodworth needed wood from a project, he would remove it from the wooden silo, which stood on the west side of the barn. In 1960s they heard a loud crash when the silo tumbled down.

"Dad would say, 'He's got a mind of his own,'" Dennis Barlow said. "But this was his house. This was his family."


Phone: 330-541-9434

Twitter: @LauraFreeman_RP