Actors' Summit Theater announced that the regional premiere of "Musical of Musicals (The Musical)" has been extended.
The originally scheduled 12-performance run closed June 10. The play will reopen for an additional six weeks of performances on June 21, with a new scheduled closing date of July 29 at Actors' Summit Theater in downtown Hudson. The play is performed Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m. and Sundays at 2 p.m.
Equity actress Tricia Bestic will replace Kathleen Culler, who was in Actors' Summit's original run.
The play has received rave critical notices, said Neil Thackaberry, artistic director.
"We're delighted with the audience response," Thackaberry said. "We've already had patrons who've seen the production three times in three weeks."
"Musical of Musicals (The Musical)" is actually five musicals in one, each with the same plot but done in the style of a different famous Broadway composer. Rodgers and Hammerstein, Andrew Lloyd Weber, Stephen Sondheim, Jerry Herman, and Kander & Ebb. The plot is the old melodrama standby: "You must pay the rent." "I can't pay the rent." "I'll pay the rent for you."
The five short musicals are:
* Corn -- in the style of Rodgers & Hammerstein paying tribute to Oklahoma!, Carousel, The Sound of Music, South Pacific, and The King and I.
* The Woods -- in the style of Stephen Sondheim paying tribute to "Sweeney Todd," "Into the Woods," "Sunday in the Park with George," and "Company."
* Dear Abby -- in the style of Jerry Herman paying tribute to "Hello Dolly," "Mame," and "La Cage aux Folles."
* Aspects of Junita -- in the style of Andrew Lloyd Weber paying tribute to "Evita," "Phantom of the Opera," "Cats," "Jesus Christ Superstar," "Starlight Express," and "Sunset Boulevard."
* Speakeasy -- in the style of Kander and Ebb paying tribute to "Cabaret," "Chicago," "The Rink," and "Kiss of the Spider Woman."
Each cast member plays the same role in each of the musicals. MaryJo Alexander portrays the wisdom of the mature woman, Abby; Joe Bishara plays the landlord, Jitter; and Keith Stevens plays the heroic Willy. The young heroine, June, which had been played by Culler during the original run, will be played by Bestic.
Tickets, other information
Tickets are $25 on Fridays and Saturdays, and $22 on Thursdays and Sundays. College students and seniors receive a $2 discount at Thursday and Sunday performances. Students under age 18 are admitted for half price.
Season subscriptions and discount coupons are now available. Group discounts are available for parties of 10 or more.
Tickets can be purchased by phone by calling 330-342-0800.
Actors Summit Theater can be found online at www.actorssummit.org.