Harold Welch Nature Center plans hikes
The Nature Center is located on Route 91 just south of Route 59 in Adell Durbin Park and Arboretum.
The center, a wood building west of the tennis courts, can be accessed from the main parking lot and operates year round.
Saturday or Sunday afternoon programs are offered year round to the public, including hikes and nature-related presentations.
Naturalist-guided hikes and programs are available to school children and youth groups.
Volunteer opportunities exist for all ages. The hikes begin at 2 p.m. and depart from the nature center.
Adell Durbin Park is located at 3300 Darrow Road. Call the Friends of Stow Parks and Recreation at 330-689-5151 for information or to join.
Upcoming events include:
* Bare-naked tree hike -- Even without leaves, there is beauty to be seen in the specimens of trees and shrubs in Adell Durbin Arboretum during a hike scheduled for Feb. 3.
* Sweetheart hike -- Bring a special someone to a sweetheart hike scheduled for Feb. 10.
* Scavenger hunt -- Spend the afternoon searching for unusual artifacts for prizes during a hike scheduled for Feb. 17 from noon to 4 p.m.
* Spring thaw hike -- As the weather begins to warm, this Feb. 24 hike will allow participants to search for blooming skunk cabbage.
* Lion or lamb hike -- A hike to determine whether March will behave like a lion or a lamb is scheduled for March 3.