The Twinsburg Public Library will host a Living History Day on June 30 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Civil War reenactors from the 41st OVI Company K and 5th Texas Company A will join library staff and speakers for an interactive exploration of this tumultuous time in American history.
Registration is not required. Patrons may stay all day or attend individual events throughout the day.
Schedule of Events
• 10 a.m. — Meet Laura Freeman, author of the "Impending Love" series of romances set during the Civil War, as well as a reporter for the Twinsburg Bulletin;
• 11 a.m. — War & Remembrance with Veronica Hughes, author of "Beyond the Monument," a history of Twinsburg’s Civil War soldiers;
• 12:30 p.m. — President Abraham Lincoln, as portrayed by Jerry Payn, delivers his second inaugural address;
• 2 p.m. — Fireside Fun: Parlor Games, learn about and play games made popular during the golden age of domestic leisure activities;
• 2:30 p.m. — 155th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address with President Lincoln
• 3 p.m. — Pettis and Coats: Women’s and Men’s Fashion of the mid-19th Century. Hear about the hoop skirt, corset and other unique Civil War-era fashions; and
• 4:30 p.m. — From the Parlor: A History of America’s First Popular Music. Explore the history of music in the home after the rise of the middle class and the Industrial Revolution.
Military drill and firings will be at 10 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., with opportunities for mock drill throughout the day. During these times, the library will be louder than usual.
Throughout the day, artifacts from the Twinsburg Historical Society will be on display in the Bissell Local History Room. Children can enjoy crafts and toys, learn period games and experience the life of a soldier. Members of the 41st OVI and 5th Texas, Marilyn Payn as Mrs. Lincoln, and weavers Ed and Etta Rowe will give period demonstrations. Encampments will be outside, weather permitting.
The Twinsburg Public Library is located at 10050 Ravenna Road in Twinsburg. Call the reference desk at 330-425-4268 ext. 2 with questions.