NORTHFIELD CENTER — A steam coil from a classroom boiler at Northfield Elementary School froze and burst sometime between Sunday evening and Monday morning, according to the Nordonia Hills School District’s business director.

"This caused very hot steam and water to flood the room and caused condensation on all surfaces," said Business Director Matt Gaugler. "Think of a classroom-sized sauna. The age of the boiler and heating units was certainly the cause of the incident."

Initial estimates of the damage are between $15,000 and $20,000, which includes damage to the classroom’s cork and chalk boards, which were "steamed off of the walls." Also damaged were smartboards, projectors, ceiling fans, data access points, a laptop, books, area rugs and more, Gaugler added. The district plans to file an insurance liability claim to cover the damages, he added.

"On a positive note, we were able to relocate all classes impacted by this in time for school on Tuesday," Gaugler said. "This was made possible by a dozen teachers and maintenance personnel coming in to help with the cleanup effort."