NORTHFIELD VILLAGE — At least two dogs and two birds perished in a home fire Monday afternoon at 60 Heights Avenue, and the home is now unlivable, according to Northfield Village Fire Chief Jason Buss.

The chief said his department was called out at about 4 p.m. for a report of a possible person trapped inside the burning home. Village firemen were later joined by squads from Macedonia, Twinsburg, Oakwood Village and the Valley Fire District.

Buss said when a crew initially arrived, flames and heavy smoke were coming from the house. As it turned out, the homeowner had left an hour or so before the call, and there were no injuries reported at the scene.

Buss said the home sustained "significant" damage, is not livable and might have to be razed. The kitchen and back of the house were the most heavily damaged portions, he added.

Buss noted it appears the fire started in the basement, and may have been electrical in nature, but the department’s investigation is continuing.

He said the homeowner also owned some cats, but firefighters were unsure if they perished or ran away from the property. He noted crews were on the scene for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.