Of the 17 communities included in Destination Hudson's Visit 17 Hudsons in 2017 Challenge, the furthest from Hudson, Ohio is 1,585 miles away. Situated in west-central Wyoming, that Hudson is 135 miles west of Casper and 305 miles northeast of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Hudson is a rural community of 456 residents, covering just .43 square miles. It is the most western of America's 17 Hudsons, and has the highest elevation at 5,085 feet above sea level. The Town of Hudson claims it "has the small town feel, perfect for raising your family... parks for the children, and several local businesses where everybody knows your name." Many of Hudson residents commute to work, traveling south to Lander or north to Riverton.
Hudson is a young community, with a median age of 32.9 versus the national average of 37.4 years. Hudson, Ohio's median age is 44.0 years. The median household income is estimated at $41,875, or 78 percent of the national average. More than 90 percent of adult residents have a high school diploma and 15 percent have a college degree.
A unique feature of the town is that its northern part, north of First Street, is within the Wind River Indian Reservation. Established in 1868, the Reservation is the seventh largest in the United States, with a land area of 3,473 square miles. Wind River is the home to 40,000 members of the Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapaho tribes. Of that number, 42 Native Americans live within Hudson's town boundary.
Hudson's first settlers, George and Emma Rogers, homesteaded in 1891. Following George's death in 1896, his brother-in-law, Daniel Hudson sold their homestead rights. The mineral rights were purchased, after which the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad was convinced to run a rail line through the area which was named "Alta," a Sioux Indian word for "swift water." Two large coal mines opened in 1906 adjacent to the Wind River Reservation. Alta swiftly became the largest coal shipping point west of Casper. The town was incorporated in 1909, making it the youngest of America's 17 Hudsons. It was named after John G. Hudson, one of the original settlers and a member of the Wyoming Legislature.
Hudson prospered. The 1911 Wyoming State Business Directory took note of Hudson's "substantial businesses and dwellings... (and) cement sidewalks." The population quickly grew to 1,500, with another 10,000 immigrant workers filling nearby mining camps. At its peak, Hudson had two general stores, an opera house, a newspaper, a cement block factory, a rail depot and stockyards. Hudson also became a major cattle-shipping point. Unfortunately demand for coal declined after World War I. By the late 1920s mines began closing, and in 1941 the last mine was shuttered. With reduced employment opportunities the town spiraled into decline. During boom times, Hudson was said to have had more houses of ill-repute than any place in Wyoming. Some of those brothels continued to operate into the 1950s.
Today a remnant of its past survives. Wyoming Custom Meats operates a slaughter and processing plant.
Hudson elects a mayor and a four member City Council. The Town Clerk administers the day-to-day functioning of the town. The Yablonski Memorial Library serves the town's literary needs. Hudson Elementary School provides kindergarten through third grade classes, while fourth through 12th grade students attend schools in nearby Riverton. Police services are provided by the Fremont County Sheriff and a County volunteer fire district renders emergency services.