A Cuyahoga Falls Police volunteer reserve officer on Jan. 26 was found guilty of a misdemeanor charge in connection with an incident in which his gun allegedly discharged in his home and the bullet went through the wall of a neighboring day care center on State Road last fall.

Ian W. McInnes, 33, was found guilty of discharging firearms, a fourth-degree misdemeanor, by Stow Municipal Court Judge Kim Hoover on Jan. 26, according to court records. A clerk of courts official told the Falls News-Press that McInnes pleaded no contest to discharging firearms on Jan. 5.

McInnes was fined $250, sentenced to 10 days in jail (all of the jail time was suspended), and ordered to serve three months of community control with the stipulation that he obey all laws for two years, according to a court official.

McInnes also works for East Cleveland Police.

"Ian deeply regrets the unfortunate accident but is even more grateful that no one was hurt," said Eddie Sipplen, McInnes' attorney. "He's learned from this experience and is looking forward to continuing his career of service as a police officer."

The incident on Oct. 24, 2016, was reported by an administrator with KinderCare Learning Center, 3100 State Road.

In the report, the administrator told police, "a known male discharged a Glock 19 Gen 4 9mm round while inside his bedroom [in the 3000 block of State Road]. The 9mm round went through the south side wall of the child care center through the south room and lodged into the wall adjacent to the south exterior wall."

The incident occurred at 3:35 p.m. Oct. 24, according to the police report.

McInnes told authorities he was unloading the weapon when it accidentally discharged and it went through the wall of his home before hitting the day care center, according to Falls Police Chief Jack Davis.

The chief added the officer went to the center right away to make sure no one was injured.

No one was injured in the incident, according to Davis.

McInnes' reserve status with Cuyahoga Falls Police was placed on hold pending the outcome of the court case.

"He has not done any volunteer work for us since the incident," said Davis on Jan. 26. "I am hoping to meet with him in the near future to discuss his status."

Davis previously told the Falls News-Press that McInnes does not carry a firearm while working as a reserve officer for the Falls Police.

At the time that charges were filed, East Cleveland Mayor Gary Norton said McInnes had been suspended without pay from the department.