UPDATE as of 1:55 on Sept. 5:

Stand off over. Tweet from reporter Heather Beyer, "Bittel is in custody and is being transported to the hospital."

A standoff at involving Nordonia Hills Board of Education President Steve Bittel ended. Bittel is being taken to the hospital for psychiatric evaluation and police are conducting an investigation of the home, police said.

Check back here for updates as we get them.

UPDATE as of 12:50 on Sept. 5:

A standoff this morning involving Nordonia Hills Board of Education President Steve Bittel began after Sagamore Hills Police and the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force executed a search warrant at Bittel’s home at 189 Ballantrae Drive this morning.

“Upon executing the warrant a male suspect got to a hidden gun and barricaded himself in the master bathroom,” the department posted on its Facebook page. “The suspect has fired one shot but nobody has been hurt. Summit County SWAT responded and is handling the negotiations with the suspect.”

Sagamore Hills Police Lt. Brian Piekarski told news media that police had been in the process of executing the warrant for about one hour when Bittel locked himself in the bathroom. He said a SWAT team is inside the residence attempting to negotiate with Bittel.

Area schools have been notified and are on a modified lockdown.

Nordonia Hills superintendent Joe Clark said in an email to the News Leader that all school administrators have been made aware of the situation and are working on dismissal procedures for students who live in the area of Ballantrae Road.
Check back here for updates as we receive them.


Sagamore Hills police, Summit County Sheriff’s deputies and a SWAT team have been deployed to Olde Eight Road and Ballantrae Drive after a situation arose this morning involving Steve Bittel, president of the Nordonia Hills Board of Education.

Bittel barricaded inside his home on Ballantrae Drive in Sagamore Hills, across from St. Barnabas School, according Sagamore Hills Police Lt. Brian Piekarski.

St. Barnabas Principal Tom McFadden said Macedonia Police Chief Jon Golden arrived at the school around 9 a.m. to notify him of the situation. McFadden said the students and staff were in morning Mass at the time.

“We made the determination that we were in a great place and secured… We were told that the SWAT team had arrived on scene at the time,” he said. “They advised us, for safety purposes, to keep the kids inside the building for the remainder of the day.”

McFadden said police felt that the situation would likely be resolved by the time school ends this afternoon.

“We’re now getting specific information out to our staff and notifying parents,” McFadden said.

Check back for updates as Record Publishing papers receive them or follow reporter Heather Beyer on Twitter for on the scene updates.