UPDATE (4:02 p.m.)
Cunningham Hall reopened at 3 p.m. today after minor repairs were completed on a cracked natural gas pipe.
Staff members reported smelling the odor around 11:30 a.m., and Kent fire fighters immediately evacuated about 100 people from the building and the annex as a precaution. There were no injuries or road closures.
Fire fighters and investigators from Dominion East Ohio determined there was a small crack in a two-inch natural gas line connected to a generator on the roof of Cunningham Hall, the university noted in a press release.
Further investigation determined that the original odor came from a science lab where a sulfur compound had not been capped correctly, so the odor and the gas line repair were not related.

UPDATE (12:55 p.m.)

Kent State University spokesman Eric Mansfield said the gas leak near Cunningham Hall has been confirmed by fire crews. The building and its annex are shut down until further notice as crews repair a 2-inch cracked pipe that was leaking natural gas.

Mansfield said about 100 people were evacuated from the Cunningham Hall area after the smell of gas was reported. An advisory was issued by the university at 11:51 a.m. encouraging people to avoid the area.

No injuries have been reported and no roads are closed.


People should avoid Cunningham Hall and the Cunningham annex area at Kent State University’s main campus because of a possible gas leak reported this morning.

Fire crews are currently investigating the smell of gas in the area, according to an advisory issued by the university at 11:51 a.m. 

Cunningham Hall is located in the science mall near the Kent State University library.

Check recordpub.com for more updates.