Hudson -- Officials believe a worker using a blow torch while renovating a vacant building may have sparked a June 4 fire at 50 Executive Parkway, though no official ruling on a cause was made by press time..

No injuries were reported as a result of the blaze which was reported at 3:59 p.m. by a worker at the building, according to Hudson Communications Manager Jody Roberts. Officials are still waiting on a damage estimate on the building, which currently does not have a tenant.

"A worker on site called 911 reporting a fire in the ceiling," Roberts said.

The first Hudson fire unit arrived on the scene at 4:05 p.m. and found "flames and heavy smoke in the large basement mechanical room, moderate smoke in the rest of the basement and the first and second floors," according to Roberts.

"The fire was limited to the basement ceiling area in the mechanical room," Roberts added.

Valley Fire and Macedonia also responded. The fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes, Roberts added. Hudson Police and Hudson Power were also at the scene.

While Hudson officials believe a torch may have started the fire, an official cause has yet to be determined, Roberts said June 5.

"We cannot complete our investigation until the building is reassessed for asbestos and air quality testing is completed," she said. "Since asbestos abatement was ongoing in the building before the fire, we need to confirm the air quality, prior to entering without masks."

The city expects testing for air quality could be completed by June 9.

Roberts said there were no other structures involved, and that the building was not a total loss.

"Since the building is in the process of being completely remodeled and demo is ongoingthere was little actual permanent damage to the structure," Roberts said.

Hudson fire remained on the scene until 7:35 p.m. to make sure there were no "hot spots" remaining, Roberts said.


Phone: 330-541-9435

Facebook: TimTroglenRPC