Twinsburg Township -- A $1.84 million bridge replacement project on Ravenna Road just north of the Old Mill Road intersection will begin in June, closing Ravenna Road for approximately four months, according to Summit County officials.

Summit County Council unanimously approved a contract April 28 with Guinto Schirak for the overhaul, which will include demolition, installation of a new foundation and related concrete work, as well as repaving, striping and new guardrails.

"The bridge has reached the end of its useful life," said Summit County Deputy Director of Engineering Services Joe Paradise, township liaison for the project. "There are chunks of concrete falling off."

The 85-foot-long bridge was first built in 1917 at 32 feet in width, and widened to 34 feet in 1932. The grading north of the bridge (the entire project spans about 500 feet) will be raised by about 4 feet during this summer's reconstruction, Paradise said.

Guinto Schirak has entered into a 120-day contract with the county for the project, putting the completion time and bridge reopening at mid- to late October. With 80 percent of the total cost coming from County Engineer's Association of Ohio Local Bridge Program funds, the remaining 20 percent ($368,648) will be paid by Summit County.

There is no cost to Twinsburg Township for the project, Twinsburg Township manager Rob Kagler said.

During the summer months, traffic will be re-routed via detour signs from the intersection of Old Mill and Ravenna Road, to Darrow Road, to East Aurora Road and continuing down to the other end of the bridge.

Nearly a dozen businesses north of the bridge will be affected by the bridge closure, Kagler said.

"I know they would really appreciate continued business in their area," Kagler said. "It is going to be a tough summer for them."

According to statistics from the county engineer's office, about 4,900 cars per day travel cross the Ravenna Road bridge, which spans Tinker's Creek. The new bridge, like the old one, will have a legal weight limit of 40 tons.


Phone: 330-541-9424

Twitter: @twinsburgohio