Twinsburg Township -- A $1.84 million bridge replacement project on Ravenna Road just north of the Old Mill Road intersection will begin in June, closing Ravenna Road for about four months, according to Summit County officials.

Summit County Council unanimously approved a contract April 28 with Guinto Schirak for the overhaul, which will include demolition, installation of a new foundation and related concrete work, plus repaving, striping and guardrails.

"The bridge has reached the end of its useful life," said Summit County Deputy Director of Engineering Services Joe Paradise. "There are chunks of concrete falling off."

The 86-foot-long bridge was built in 1917 at 32 feet in width, and widened to 34 feet in 1932.

Guinto Schirak has entered into a 120-day contract with the county for the project, putting the completion time and bridge reopening at mid- to late October.

With 80 percent of the total cost coming from County Engineer's Association of Ohio Local Bridge Program funds, the remaining 20 percent ($368,648) will be paid by Summit County.

There is no cost to Twinsburg Township, manager Rob Kagler said.

During the summer months, traffic will be re-routed via detour signs from the intersection with Old Mill to Darrow Road to East Aurora Road and continuing down to the other end of the bridge.

There are nearly a dozen businesses north of the bridge that will be affected by the closure.


Phone: 330-541-9400 ext. 4172