Fire department officials said a child playing with a lighter sparked a house fire at 11:17 p.m. yesterday that forced a family from an Overbrook Road home and caused $40,000 worth of damage.

According to fire officials, firefighters responded to a house fire at 2606 Overbrook Road and quickly attacked the blaze, which began on the first floor of the house.

Three occupants and a friend of the family had evacuated the home before the fire officials arrived after being alerted by smoke and fire. A search and reconnaissance team went through the house and found one of the family's dogs dead from smoke inhalation.

No injuries were reported in the fire.

Fire department officials said the blaze was started by a child playing with a lighter.

For the story, please see the July 1 edition of the Cuyahoga Falls News-Press.