by Ken Lahmers
Aurora -- Four administrators had contract extensions approved at the May 21 regular meeting of the Board of Education.
Director of Academics Alicia Lopez, Harmon Principal William Laine and Transportation Supervisor Sal Arquilla were granted three-year extensions until July 31, 2010, while high school Assistant Principal Paul Goodwin was given a two-year extension until July 31, 2009.
The administrators are currently being paid as follows: Lopez, $107,235; Laine, $83,158; Goodwin, $70,000; and Arquilla, $67,540.
In other business, Leigh-ton fifth-grade teacher Becky Bell and health-instructional assistant Kathy Snider were given semi-annual excellence in teaching and classified service honors, respectively.
Bell has taught for 17 years in the district, while Snider has been employed for 11 years and has worked with one particular student with a disability from kindergarten through high school.
Three teachers re-ceived one-year con-tracts: Jessica Hayes, math-language arts grades 4 to 9; Emily Hilker, interventionist; and Shawn Reilly, industrial technology education.
IN OTHER personnel matters, the School Board:
* Adjusted employment percentages of the following teachers: Angela Frankmann, 67 percent to 100 percent; and Jaime Frey and Steph-anie Shorr, both 50 percent to 100 percent.
* Accepted the following resignations: AHS custodian Russell Chitwood and Leigh-ton reading specialist Nancy Wyatt (for retirement purposes), AHS English teacher Kara Haas, Leighton speech-language pathologist Debra Cronin, Miller speech-language pathologist Megan Janzig and Miller health-instructional assistant Jaime Frey.
* Awarded supplemental contracts for 2006-07 to Tim Moran and James Myers as sixth-grade camp volunteers; Emily Hilker, Carol McGil-bra, Lauren Barker, Dana Barto, Megan Halko, Julie Iafigliola and Jennifer Loudon for special education duties in the summer; Melissa Clementz, Tim Deering, Cathy Goudy and Ken Mitroff as summer school teachers; and Len Spacek as sixth-grade camp overnight supervisor.
* Approved a parental leave of absence for Craddock teacher Leigh Mich-aels-Goff for the first semester of 2007-08.
* Employed the following as support staff substitutes: Dennis Altmann, Diane Burns, Heidi Duke, Marlene Finkenthal and Barbara Schweitzer; and Chris Denzinger as a summer helper.
The School Board also:
* Recognized Dinah Chen as AHS class of 2007 valedictorian and Alexis Davis as salutatorian, and approved the graduating class.
* Approved an out-of-state trip July 29 to Aug. 4 for the AHS marching band to participate in its annual band camp in Transfer, Pa.
* Authorized membership in the Ohio High School Athletic Association for 2007-08.
* APPROVED the re-vised state five-year plan for general fund appropriations through fiscal year 2010.
* Accepted "Code Talker" by Joseph Bruchac as a language arts novel for seventh-graders.
* Accepted a $2,000 donation to the media center from the Harmon-High School PTO and a $500 donation for video equipment from the Aurora Schools Foundation.
* Congratulated AHS students Jennifer Messner and Brian Heigel for being Rotary Club students of the month, and Kylie Lammers for being selected a Portage County teen of the month.
* Congratulated Rachel Biben, Joe Kozelka, Doug Fuhrer and Brittany Jackson for earning Excel TECC awards and several AHS students for winning Portage County art show and congressional art competition honors.
* Was given for perusal a new policy outlining guidelines for early entrance to kindergarten and a revised policy dealing with school property disposal.
The early entrance for kindergartners policy states the child's fifth birthday must fall between Oct. 1 and Dec. 31 of the year requested for early entrance, and the child must have at least a 130 IQ and have performed at the same level or higher of an average 5 1/2-year-old.
* Was given for perusal a proposed list of math textbooks for grades 6 to 8 and high school.
Phone: 330-688-0088 ext. 3155