Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens honors the 79th anniversary of the founding of Alcoholics Anonymous at its Gate Lodge during Founders' Day Weekend, June 6 through 8.

Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day; complimentary admission to the Gate Lodge is available for all who come to visit this historic location. Free transportation is provided between Founders' Day activities at Stan Hywet and The University of Akron on June 7. Stan Hywet is at 714 North Portage Path in Akron.

The Gate Lodge was built as a residence for the estate's superintendent. The first (and only) superintendent lived there until his death in 1923, when Fred (eldest son of F.A. Seiberling) moved in with his wife, Henrietta and their three children. It was in the Gate Lodge on Mother's Day in 1935 that Henrietta brought together for a discussion her friend Dr. Bob Smith, a prominent Akron surgeon and Mr. Bill Wilson, a New York stockbroker. Two admitted alcoholics, the meeting went long into the evening, where the principles that still serve as the cornerstone of

Alcoholics Anonymous were identified.

The Gate Lodge at Stan Hywet was formally dedicated as the "Birthplace of Alcoholics Anonymous" in 2000. It was restored and reopened in 2004.