The Tallmadge Historical Society is recognized as the oldest historical society in Ohio, assembling for its first meeting on March 24, 1858, in an earlier Town Hall building, then located at the southwest corner of the Circle and South Avenue. 

Today, the organization continues to meet in Old Town Hall, located at 213 Tallmadge Circle which was built in 1859. A generous donation made to the organization in 1979 enabled the restoration and preservation of the Old Town Hall interior and later that of the Schenkenberger House. Most of this work was done by a group of dedicated volunteers.

The Historical Society operates a museum on the second floor of the Old Town Hall which features many Tallmadge artifacts and is open for group tours, which may be arranged by appointment. The first floor, complete with kitchen, may be rented for parties or special events.

In 2007, the Historical Society opened the Schenkenberger House, built in 1847 and located at 35 Southwest Ave., to the public. The house is furnished and features old photographs of earlier residents, an old mail sorting table and many other treasures.

Old Town Hall and Schenkenberger House open houses, typically on the last Sunday of the month from 2 to 4 p.m., as well as other special events, are announced in the Tallmadge Express and on the community bulletin board on the Circle. The historic Congregational Church building will normally be open on these same open house days, as well. 

The society normally gathers and presents six programs per year, featuring speakers on local and regional history. In January, March, September and November, programs are scheduled on the second Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. The April annual business and dinner program is scheduled on a Saturday and the December event is usually scheduled for the first Sunday and takes place in the Historic Congregational Church building.

Carolyn Mackey serves as the organization’s president.

Contact the Tallmadge Historical Society at 330-630-9760 for membership or other information.