What is now Tallmadge was originally a township known only as Tract 2, Range 10 of the Western Reserve, so designated when this entire area was purchased by the Connecticut Land Co. from the state of Connecticut in 1793. The Land Co. sold Tract 2, Range 10 to a number of individuals in the early 1800s. In 1806, the Rev. David Bacon contracted with the owners for a large part of the land in the township. His object was to establish a Puritan settlement, reselling the land to selected settlers. 

In 1806, Bacon came to the township with a party of surveyors. Ephraim Starr had donated 7 1-2 acres in the center of the township for a public square which is where Bacon planned to locate the church, school and town hall, with shops and residences facing the square. 

Roads were surveyed and cleared on the north-south and east-west centerlines and diagonally from the four corners of the township, so that all roads would lead to the meeting house in the public square.

Originally, all these roads cut through the public square, also referred to as Center Park, and met in the middle. In about 1850, a road was made around the park along with a fence to keep traffic and animals out of the park. Over the years, as traffic increased and cars replaced horse-drawn buggies, what was once a rectangular park became an oval, now known as Tallmadge Circle. 

The eight main roads leading from and to the Circle were originally named after the townships and communities to which they connected, e.g., North Avenue was Stow Road, followed in a clockwise direction by Kent Road, Brimfield Road, Mogadore Road, Canton Road, Middlebury Road, Akron Road and Cuyahoga Falls Road. This was the situation until the late 1940s when all were renamed to the points of the compass.

Today, the Circle is still the focal point of this community of more than 17,000 people and blends its early American heritage with its present-day Midwestern hospitality. One of the most recognized map shapes in Northeast Ohio is the configuration of the Tallmadge Circle. Its landmark features are so readily recognized by even the untrained eye it becomes a point of reference, orientation and focus.  

Circle Park, home to the Old Town Hall and the Historic Congregational Church, is the site of many civic and social events. This historic circle park, including the church and town hall, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1971. Today, it features a variety of trees, picnic tables and benches, and several monuments, including a veteran’s memorial. In 2007, it became the site where the Tallmadge Bicentennial Time Capsule was buried, not to be opened until 2057.